What to see in Vladimir
Most importantly, what the city of Vladimir is famous for is its masterpieces of ancient Russian white stone
architecture. Vladimir is a city with a millennial history. It was founded in the late of the X century
by the Prince of Kiev Vladimir Svyatoslavich on the high bank of the Klyazma river on the border
of Zalesie and Opolie. In the beginning of the XII century the town was fortified by Vladimir Monomakh,
and in the middle of the XII century Vladimir became the capital of Vladimir-Suzdal Principality,
and the capital of the whole North-Eastern Russia.
The Old Vladimir
In Water tower there is an exposition «The old Vladimir». Recreated the interiors of the room in the house of a wealthy citizen, the Church shop, police station, restaurant with traditional samovar, painted trays and many bottles and decanters.
+7 4922 32-54-51
Kozlov Val street, 14
A unique monument of Vladimir-Suzdal white stone architecture and plasticity of the Pre-Mongolian time. Tthe Cathedral in the name of the Saint Dmitriy Solunskiy was erected in the 1190-ies by the Prince Vsevolod Urievich the Big Nest, who was given the name Dmitriy in baptism.
+7 4922 32-42-63
B.Moskovskaya street, 60
Museum Complex «The Chambers»
Museum complex is located in the center of the city, between the ancient cathedrals, in the depths of the old park with fountain and alleys. Designed for...
8 (4922) 32-24-29
B.Moskovskaya street, 58
The Museum of Nature
In 1990 Vladimir-Suzdal Museum-Preserve opened in Vladimir the first permanent "natural" exhibition «In the world of animals», which in 1997, after reorganization has received the name "The native nature".
+7 4922 53-25-89
Mira street, 19
The Museum of military glory
The Museum of military glory has several exhibition halls - stationary exhibition expositions. The exhibition is based on the original documents and photographs, letters, awards, personal belongings of participants...
+7 4922 32-39-91
B.Moskovskaya street, 33/35
Museum “Crystal. Embroidery. Lacquer miniature"
A unique Museum of Crystal is situated in the building of Trinity Church, near the Golden gate. Its exposition includes about 1000 specimens of crystal and approximately 100 of the finest works from the porcelain...
8 (4922) 32-42-63
Dvoryanskaya street, 2
White-stone monuments of the XII century – The Golden Gate, the Cathedral, the monastery and the princely Church – implemented the metropolitan dignity of the city, combining in time, "the Mother of the Russian cities" Kiev and the future capital of Russia, firstly the "suburb" of Vladimir, Moscow. The urban development plan of the Prince, the absolute ruler Andrei Bogolyubsky open the Chronicles: The Golden Gate - “will be the memory of my homeland”, The Assumption Cathedral- “I want to declare this city metropolis”, Bogoliubovo- “The Stone town”, and Vladimir itself - “This city will be the main”.
Junior Andrey's brother Vsevolod the Big Nest preserved and multiplied the metropolitan splendor of the city, creating the citadel with the St.Demetrius Cathedral, the Nativity monastery with the white-stone Church, the Knyaginin convent in the North-Western corner of the city, and the main Shrine of the Principality – The Assumption Cathedral – made it bigger and more beautiful.
The Mongol invasion of the XIII century had undermined the might of Vladimir: the architectural tradition was stopped, many handicrafts were forgotten, the town was desolated. However, Vladimir retained its political primacy among the Russian cities: to become a great Prince, to obtain the Golden Horde “ label” on the Great reign of Vladimir was needed. In 1263, "the sun of the Russian land went down" – died the hero of "The Battle on the Ice", a skillful diplomat and a military leader, the Prince of Vladimir (1252-1263) Alexander Nevsky (the grandson of Vsevolod the Big Nest). For 460 years before transferring to St. Petersburg, his ashes had been buried in the Nativity monastery in Vladimir.
With the rise of Moscow Vladimir was subordinated to the new capital. At the turn of the XV–XVI centuries resumed the construction: this the time has left to descendants the full of poetry The Assumption Cathedral of the Knyaginin monastery.